Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2010, 01:57 PM   #1
PobrecitoHablador
Forero
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cantabria, Spain
Posts: 41
Default Spaniard vs. Latino Spanish

Jack asked me this in another thread, I think it may be interesting for a new one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
Another question in regard to "stigma".... I know that the French (in general) seem to look down on french speaking Canadians as "inferior" in their french speaking capability. (At least that is the way a lot of French Canadians see things). Does the same perception exist among Spaniards in regard to any or all of the other spanish speaking countries in the world? I do know that this sort of "elitism" does exist between one spanish speaking country and another as I have often heard one or another citizen of one country commenting how that country's spanish is superior to another country's! Ie, a Costa Rican might comment that Costa Rica's spanish is closer to what is spoken in Spain than what Mexican spanish is etc !

Sorry if I am straying too far from the original thread topic. But it is something I have oftened wondered about.
Simple answer:
Generalmente no.
and
Las generalizaciones se equivocan, generalmente.

Complex answer:
Yes and no, I think Spaniards (in general) don't look down on Latin America people
because of their way of speaking.
That said, some people does look them down, either because of the way they speak, perhaps because they are poor migrants or just because they are racist morons.

I think the key is that "Español de España" does not really exist. there are many dialects of Spanish within Spain, and even languages that are not Spanish at all.
That Standard Spanish thing only exist on TV and a small area around Valladolid, any other place have some (or lots of) dialectal traits.
Many dialects within Spain are often seen with negative traits:
Andalusian (specially), Galician and Catalan bilinguals when speaking Spanish and many more.
That said many dialects of Spanish are often seen with positive traits:
-Argentinian accent is often considered, sexy and "hot".
-Mexican accent are often seen as soft and pleasant.
-Caribbean as quite relaxed.
-Latin American people in general are more respectful of grammatical rules than Spaniards (leismo, dequeismo...).

I feel that i'm forgetting something...
PobrecitoHablador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 08:11 PM   #2
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PobrecitoHablador View Post
Jack asked me this in another thread, I think it may be interesting for a new one:



Simple answer:
Generalmente no.
and
Las generalizaciones se equivocan, generalmente.

Complex answer:
Yes and no, I think Spaniards (in general) don't look down on Latin America people
because of their way of speaking.
That said, some people does look them down, either because of the way they speak, perhaps because they are poor migrants or just because they are racist morons.

I think the key is that "Español de España" does not really exist. there are many dialects of Spanish within Spain, and even languages that are not Spanish at all.
That Standard Spanish thing only exist on TV and a small area around Valladolid, any other place have some (or lots of) dialectal traits.
Many dialects within Spain are often seen with negative traits:
Andalusian (specially), Galician and Catalan bilinguals when speaking Spanish and many more.
That said many dialects of Spanish are often seen with positive traits:
-Argentinian accent is often considered, sexy and "hot".
-Mexican accent are often seen as soft and pleasant.
-Caribbean as quite relaxed.
-Latin American people in general are more respectful of grammatical rules than Spaniards (leismo, dequeismo...).

I feel that i'm forgetting something...
I wonder if older generations of Spaniards are guiltier of this.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 07:26 PM   #3
crackerlady2007
Forero Senior
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 81
Default

I heard that Spanish and Latin American is so different from each other that they can hardly understand one another. Is that true?
crackerlady2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 09:27 PM   #4
MCP
Super Forero
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerlady2007 View Post
I heard that Spanish and Latin American is so different from each other that they can hardly understand one another. Is that true?
I don't think it's true, no. In any case, you can't just lump all the accents of Latin America and all those of Spain into one basket each. There are numerous variations.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 04:10 PM   #5
Beckett
Mega Forero
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerlady2007 View Post
I heard that Spanish and Latin American is so different from each other that they can hardly understand one another. Is that true?
Who told you that? That's not true. The slang is different and some idiomatic expressions are different but it's the same Spanish language, grammatically. The pronunciation will also be different but not as dramatically different as the variations one hears in the English language.

In fact, I'd say that there might be more confusion between two native English speakers (let's say one from Biloxi, Mississipi in the U.S. and the other from England with a Cockney accent) than there would be between two native Spanish speakers from different parts of the Spanish-speaking world.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 11:51 PM   #6
crackerlady2007
Forero Senior
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 81
Default

I'm so glad it's not true. It would be pretty dumb to learn a whole language only to learn that those right across the border won't understand me while people on the other side of the world would!
crackerlady2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 12:24 AM   #7
Culebronchris
Peino canas
 
Culebronchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cartagena, Murcia
Posts: 296
Default

Bearing in mind that generalizations are generally mistaken.

I was talking to an Ecuadorian living in Spain, she says she normally has no problems with Spaniards (language wise) but then went on to tell me an amusing story about her Ecuadorian husband trying to recover his "carrito" from a locked supermarket car park. The security guard, being Spanish, didn't understand the word as an alternative for "coche" and wondered why this bloke wanted a shopping trolley at 2am.

As an aside the Ecuadorian mentioned that she has great difficulty understanding Mexicans.

A Spaniard I know, who knows "my" Ecuadorian, said he has huge difficulty understanding the Ecuadorian's Spanish.

I know these people because I do intercambios with them. I have a third intercambio who is also Spanish. Ocassionally, as I read, I come across words that I think may be useful to me. I sometimes check those words with my intercambios. When one of the intercambios knew neither the word "relente" nor "cavilar" I tried them out on the others. None of the three knew either word.

Years ago I was at a Spanish class. The teacher used the word peyorativo which I recognised as being exactly like the English word pejorative. The teacher had difficulty explaining the idea of the word in Spanish so, as we were all Brits and as I was the smartypants of the class, I told the rest of the class what the word was in English. The problem was that the rest of the class didn't know the word pejorative in English either.

Every time I try to get a packet of Dux cigars the person behind the counter looks at me like I'm stupid. Every time I ask a Spanish speaker what I'm saying wrong in this three letter word they tell me that they can't see a problem with my pronunciation.

So the generalisation, using these and lots of similar conversations/observations.

It depends whether people have the willingness/patience to listen to the other person, if they have preconceived notions about other accents and constructions and if they have a reasonable grasp of their own language.
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 12:46 PM   #8
JackMcG
El Chele
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ocean City MD and Guanacaste Nicaragua
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culebronchris View Post
Bearing in mind that generalizations are generally mistaken.

I was talking to an Ecuadorian living in Spain, she says she normally has no problems with Spaniards (language wise) but then went on to tell me an amusing story about her Ecuadorian husband trying to recover his "carrito" from a locked supermarket car park. The security guard, being Spanish, didn't understand the word as an alternative for "coche" and wondered why this bloke wanted a shopping trolley at 2am.
Good post with some great points.
And as a matter of fact, if you yourself were in the USA and asked me for a "shopping trolley", I would probably think that you were looking for an electrically powered (from overhead electric lines) bus type vehicle with steel wheels (like a train) that was taking people to the Shopping Mall!
(What you call a shopping trolley, we call a shopping cart)
JackMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:36 PM   #9
Culebronchris
Peino canas
 
Culebronchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cartagena, Murcia
Posts: 296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
(What you call a shopping trolley, we call a shopping cart)
I've watched MASH, Cheers, Hill Street Blues, The West Wing, ER, Bones, Cold Case etc. etc. I've seen Jack and Clint and Julia and Meryl in films, I know the past tense of he dives is he dove, that walking sticks are canes and handbags purses but it doesn't help. Anytime I've been in the US I've ended up looking blank to what is, presumably a simple question like "What's your tag number?"

All good fun though and World languages like Castellano/Spanish and English just make it more interesting eh?
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 02:16 AM   #10
Hispanicvs
Forero
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerlady2007 View Post
I heard that Spanish and Latin American is so different from each other that they can hardly understand one another. Is that true?
EL RETORNO DEL JEDI (RETURN OF THE JEDI)

Mexico

España

Mexico

España

Mexico

España


TERMINATOR

Mexico

España



EL REY LEON 2 (THE KING LION 2)

Mexico

España

Last edited by Hispanicvs; 3rd June 2010 at 02:50 AM.
Hispanicvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 02:49 AM   #11
Uriel
Mega Forero
 
Uriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Mexico, US
Posts: 434
Default

Well, that first version of Return of the Jedi may be in Spanish, but the opening prologue scroll looked a lot more like Portuguese....bizarre!
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:29 AM   #12
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Understandable but funny nonetheless at the pronunciation of Jedi.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Bronik
Forero
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Valladolid
Posts: 23
Default difference??

The language is the same with a different accent but in southamerica use words that doesn't exist here in spain. an example of this is "vaina" they say: ¿Qué vaina te pasó? and in Spain we say "¿Qué te pasó? " in this case "vaina" is the same as "cosa" (thing) and the most of us know that but there are a lot of words that we cant understand. So I think the spanish from Spain and Southamerica are quite different and thats why I love my language

Last edited by Bronik; 4th June 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Bronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.