Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th December 2008, 09:17 AM   #21
Edith
Pangolin Forero
 
Edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Países Bajos
Posts: 3,799
Default

I fondly recall the stuffed chicken my mother used to make for Christmas. It was a family recipe, although the original dish was goose. The stuffing contained chopped chicken liver, egg yolk, white bread crumbs, parsley, garlic and onions. Later we switched to game dishes, but nothing could beat this traditional family recipe - ¡para chuparse los dedos!

Last edited by Edith; 15th December 2008 at 09:22 AM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 01:20 PM   #22
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
I fondly recall the stuffed chicken my mother used to make for Christmas. It was a family recipe, although the original dish was goose. The stuffing contained chopped chicken liver, egg yolk, white bread crumbs, parsley, garlic and onions. Later we switched to game dishes, but nothing could beat this traditional family recipe - ¡para chuparse los dedos!
We'll bring my Mom's flan!
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 04:48 PM   #23
Diana
Super Forero
 
Diana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rottenburg, Germany
Posts: 230
Default

Happy holidays to all!

This Christmas my husband and I will be together but without the rest of the family. Nevetheless, with our webcam and computer, we will be able to visit with everyone. We can't seem to make it to Chile, India, Sweden or the US and our children and grandchildren can't seem to make it to Germany this year.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 06:51 PM   #24
greytop
Hero Forero
 
greytop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pego, Spain
Posts: 3,363
Default

Best of both worlds Diana - if they get too rowdy you can turn the sound down
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 08:13 PM   #25
Diana
Super Forero
 
Diana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rottenburg, Germany
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
Best of both worlds Diana - if they get too rowdy you can turn the sound down
Very true!!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 09:10 PM   #26
Maria S.
Super Forero
 
Maria S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oberursel/Ts. in Germany
Posts: 171
Default

German style, we will celebrate on Christmas eve. (The night before we will be out for Carol singing at a British friend's house... party time!)

On Dec 24th, we will be having a Franconian dish called "Krautspudel" (big yeast dumpling, Sauerkraut, pork chops and gravy), because my younger brother will join us for the first time and he would love to have this dish. My mom used to make it, but nowadays I am the only one left with the knowledge of how to prepare it.

Last year we had my French brother-in-law here, hence they (my husband and he) had 50 raw oysters and other French goodies. The kids and I settled for something more common.

Germany is so quiet on Christmas eve. There is not a sound to be heard, at least in our neighborhood. It is truly a "Silent night, holy night".
Maria S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 02:26 PM   #27
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco
 
gastephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gales
Posts: 1,932
Default Para todos

gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 02:48 PM   #28
parubin
el del espejo
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canary Islands / Spain
Posts: 334
Default

Unofficially it all starts today with the (in)famous Christmas Company Meals which will take place throughout Spain mainly today and tomorrow.

In fact I'm heading right now to mine.

Next monday (22nd) the 'Gordo de Navidad' lottery prize will be the yearly ritual that opens christmas for all.

F E L I Z N A V I D A D A T O D O S !!!!!!!!!

Happy Christmas everyone !!!
parubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 12:16 AM   #29
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

I just came back from my employer's Holiday Party. We had a pot luck. The regular Holiday party at a restaurant was cancelled due to the tanking economy.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 12:26 AM   #30
deecree
Errant in Forolandia
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kobol
Posts: 1,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
I just came back from my employer's Holiday Party. We had a pot luck. The regular Holiday party at a restaurant was cancelled due to the tanking economy.
Don´t worry, Bush has his new home in Texas and Haliburton shares are as high as ever. They are doing well, perhaps something will trickle-down to you!
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 03:15 AM   #31
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
Don´t worry, Bush has his new home in Texas and Haliburton shares are as high as ever. They are doing well, perhaps something will trickle-down to you!
And your name is Ronald Reagan.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 03:23 AM   #32
tobyo
Forero Senior
 
tobyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Roseville, MN, USA
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgrossman View Post
Happy Holidays to everyone. I'm curious - any special holiday traditions you want to share? One of ours is that my wife goes into alot of school classrooms and reads the same Chanukah story each year.
I have some. well, one we no longer do due to the expense of it. we used to make a goose every year for Christmas. not only are they expensive but the butcher we used to get it from no longer gets them. and then fresh roasted chestnut dressing...yum!! which reminds me of the roasted chestnuts they'd sell on the streets of Madrid. I wonder if that still happens?

we celebrate both Hanukah and Christmas at my house since I am both Jewish and Christian. and I'm excited that Hanukah overlaps with Christmas this year!
tobyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 03:25 AM   #33
tobyo
Forero Senior
 
tobyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Roseville, MN, USA
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
We'll bring my Mom's flan!
oh....YUM!!!!
tobyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 03:27 AM   #34
tobyo
Forero Senior
 
tobyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Roseville, MN, USA
Posts: 89
Default a few more traditions

my husband is mostly Swedish and his parents will be here Christmas Eve. so we'll serve their traditional Christmas Eve supper: Swedish meatballs, Swedish sausage, baked beans and our own addition: Swedish limpa bread! I can't wait to start eating and cooking!

my daughter and I like to make and decorate cookies and that day is Tuesday. I'm trying a new butter cookie recipe and I'll also make the Jewish cookies that I like: rugelach.

is it Tuesday yet???
tobyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 04:28 AM   #35
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
my husband is mostly Swedish and his parents will be here Christmas Eve. so we'll serve their traditional Christmas Eve supper: Swedish meatballs, Swedish sausage, baked beans and our own addition: Swedish limpa bread! I can't wait to start eating and cooking!

my daughter and I like to make and decorate cookies and that day is Tuesday. I'm trying a new butter cookie recipe and I'll also make the Jewish cookies that I like: rugelach.

is it Tuesday yet???
No haces latkes tambien?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 08:51 AM   #36
gary
Samuri Forero
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
'Scuse my ignorance, but what is Chanukah? And what is the story?
Its Jewish - Festival of Lights also spelt Hanukkah.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 09:38 AM   #37
richardksa
Jedi Forero
 
richardksa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
which reminds me of the roasted chestnuts they'd sell on the streets of Madrid. I wonder if that still happens?
'Tis one of the reasons I love Madrid at this time of year. You can follow my wanderings around the city by tracking the chestnut shells I leave behind. Tip: Worst ones are in Sol. Best near the metro station at the Plaza de España.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 11:34 AM   #38
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
'Tis one of the reasons I love Madrid at this time of year. You can follow my wanderings around the city by tracking the chestnut shells I leave behind. Tip: Worst ones are in Sol. Best near the metro station at the Plaza de España.
Hey Richard, warm up your favorite Lear Jet and hop on over today coz' we're having our Channukah party today. That way we'll learn you real good what it's all about. Comprendes?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 01:26 PM   #39
ksgrossman
Super Forero
 
ksgrossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
Don´t worry, Bush has his new home in Texas and Haliburton shares are as high as ever. They are doing well, perhaps something will trickle-down to you!
I agree with your sarcasm, deecree. In my experience, nothing good trickles down - only stuff that needs to be cleaned up.
ksgrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 01:34 PM   #40
ksgrossman
Super Forero
 
ksgrossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
I'll also make the Jewish cookies that I like: rugelach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
No haces latkes tambien?
I'll take some rugelach and latkes. Sour cream or applesauce?
ksgrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.