Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2008, 05:07 PM   #1
jonk
Mega Forero
 
jonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 260
Default The 10 Most Important Verbs

If you had to give someone 10 Spanish verbs and say "learn all the conjugations to these, these are the ones you need to know" which would you say?

I've had a go at preparing the ten that I think would be it. But I'd love to hear some other "absolute must know" verbs I have missed out on. Basically all of them are irregular.

Ser

Estar

Saber

Haber

Tener

Decir

Gustar

Querer

Venir

Hacer
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:10 PM   #2
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Pagar

Gastar

Ahorrar

Comer

Beber

Desayunar

Cenar

Dormir

Descansar

Disfrutar

Bromear
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:10 PM   #3
eldeano
He's the most tip top
 
eldeano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,889
Default

There's a few there that wouldn't make my top ten. You'll need a regular -ar, -er and -ir verb in there, like hablar, comer and vivir.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:11 PM   #4
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
Don't think gustar would make my top ten. You'll need a regular -ar, -er and -ir verb in there, like hablar, comer and vivir.
Gatear
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:12 PM   #5
eldeano
He's the most tip top
 
eldeano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Gatear
Claro.

Valenciasonear?
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Diana
Super Forero
 
Diana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rottenburg, Germany
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
There's a few there that wouldn't make my top ten. You'll need a regular -ar, -er and -ir verb in there, like hablar, comer and vivir.
maullar
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Beckett
Mega Forero
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 898
Default

Ir should definitely be on your list because it is an irregular verb and it is a frequently-used verb. Other verbs that would be good to know are: conocer, dar, poder, poner, pedir, and volver.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:27 PM   #8
eldeano
He's the most tip top
 
eldeano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
maullar
Exacto.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Beckett
Mega Forero
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 898
Default

Well if maullar makes the list, better add ladrar for equal measure.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 06:22 PM   #10
Acosta
Mega Forero
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 756
Default

Borrar
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 07:09 PM   #11
Perro Callejero
El Perro Callejero
 
Perro Callejero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Probablemente perdido
Posts: 325
Default

I would just say learn Spanish!
Seems easier than trying to get by on 10 conjugations!
Perro Callejero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 07:30 PM   #12
Beckett
Mega Forero
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro Callejero View Post
I would just say learn Spanish!
Seems easier than trying to get by on 10 conjugations!
PerroCallejero, be patient with the rest of us. People have got different learning styles. What works for you might not work for someone else. For some, it is helpful to compartmentalize and break down the enormous task of learning a foreign language into small, bite-size components. It's a way to build a foundation and dip one's toe in the language learning waters, so to speak, without being immediately overwhelmed.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 08:46 PM   #13
Steve W
e'tiv
 
Steve W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 189
Default

Based purely on most frequent day to day use.

Ir
Ser
Ver
Estar
Hablar
Trabajar
Comprar
Comer
Quedar
Poder
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 11:53 PM   #14
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco
 
gastephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gales
Posts: 1,932
Default

The 10 most commonly used verbs in the spoken register are:

ser 8
estar 17
tener 18
decir 28
ir 30
ver 37
saber 46
querer 57
creer 91
hablar 92

The numbers after the verbs refer to their overall ranking in the 5000 most commonly used words in Spanish.

[Taken from a Frequency dictionary of SPANISH by Mark Davies.]
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 01:00 AM   #15
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

In Spain, I thought the most common verb would be joder!
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 03:18 AM   #16
Perro Callejero
El Perro Callejero
 
Perro Callejero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Probablemente perdido
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
PerroCallejero, be patient with the rest of us. People have got different learning styles. What works for you might not work for someone else. For some, it is helpful to compartmentalize and break down the enormous task of learning a foreign language into small, bite-size components. It's a way to build a foundation and dip one's toe in the language learning waters, so to speak, without being immediately overwhelmed.
I'm not not being patient, I'm just trying to imagine getting by in a conversation with only 10 conjugations...it seems harder than learning them all! That was the distinction I was making...learning the ten would be easier than learning the language, for sure, but surviving on 10 conjugations would be much more difficult imo than learning the language.

If it's a first step, though, sure! It would be a good way to break it down. I was saying that if it's an end, a substitution, it would be easier to do the whole thing than forever trying to phrase things using 10 verbs.
Perro Callejero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 04:08 AM   #17
jonk
Mega Forero
 
jonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Pagar

Gastar

Ahorrar

Comer

Beber

Desayunar

Cenar

Dormir

Descansar

Disfrutar

Bromear
haha love it

It's the hedonists ten
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 04:13 AM   #18
jonk
Mega Forero
 
jonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post
The 10 most commonly used verbs in the spoken register are:

ser 8
estar 17
tener 18
decir 28
ir 30
ver 37
saber 46
querer 57
creer 91
hablar 92

The numbers after the verbs refer to their overall ranking in the 5000 most commonly used words in Spanish.

[Taken from a Frequency dictionary of SPANISH by Mark Davies.]
end of conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro Callejero View Post
I'm not not being patient, I'm just trying to imagine getting by in a conversation with only 10 conjugations...it seems harder than learning them all! That was the distinction I was making...learning the ten would be easier than learning the language, for sure, but surviving on 10 conjugations would be much more difficult imo than learning the language.

If it's a first step, though, sure! It would be a good way to break it down. I was saying that if it's an end, a substitution, it would be easier to do the whole thing than forever trying to phrase things using 10 verbs.
I know, it was meant to be more of a fun little exercise. Isn't there something like 40, 45 conjugations for a verb generally? My Excel document has 36 at the moment. My plan is in the next month to take maybe 15, 20 irregular verbs listed on here and know them inside out, and also be a whiz at conjugation of regular verbs. Like was previously said, stepping stones.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 04:43 AM   #19
xan
Super Forero
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk View Post
end of conversation



I know, it was meant to be more of a fun little exercise. Isn't there something like 40, 45 conjugations for a verb generally? My Excel document has 36 at the moment. My plan is in the next month to take maybe 15, 20 irregular verbs listed on here and know them inside out, and also be a whiz at conjugation of regular verbs. Like was previously said, stepping stones.
That many? And people actually sit down and grind all of them out? It is a long time since I learned conjugations, but I could swear that all I was ever made to memorize were the regular conjugations and then the really important irregular verbs, you know, ser, estar, tener, that kind of thing. It seems to me that there is a a lot of regularity even in the supposedly irregular zone. Learn the rules and the patterns, not the individual verbs.

Of course maybe I have forgotten how painful it all was. I recently took a beginning french class on a whim. I thought it was going to be easy because I knew some spanish. And I quickly realized, oh my god, there is all this brute labor involved, learning and assimilating the basic grammar, making it automatic. How did I ever do this? For so long "studying" Spanish has been mostly listening and reading and picking up new expressions. Which has a much higher entertainment value.
xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 06:30 AM   #20
jonk
Mega Forero
 
jonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xan View Post
That many? And people actually sit down and grind all of them out? It is a long time since I learned conjugations, but I could swear that all I was ever made to memorize were the regular conjugations and then the really important irregular verbs, you know, ser, estar, tener, that kind of thing. It seems to me that there is a a lot of regularity even in the supposedly irregular zone. Learn the rules and the patterns, not the individual verbs.
Yeh there's lots of patterns which helps But to learn the first two regular verbs takes a lot of learning.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.