Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 27th November 2008, 01:33 PM   #21
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Default Thanksgiving Day USA

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all foreros americanos and otherwise!

My family is eagerly waiting for the 17.77 lb., free-range, organic turkey to be done. I threw it in the oven at 8 AM so it should be ready by 3 PM. Due to my success last year, this year I will make the gravy, using turkey drippings, sage, flour, water and maybe a touch of vino blanco.

My wife is making the organic stuffing. Our friend Linda is coming over to prepare the dressings and mashed potatoes and candied yams.

My oldest son will prepare the pumpkin pie.

My mom is bringing over the flan, again (I'm sure the pilgrims would find her flan agreeable, I know we do!).

We are getting ready to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, which comes on at 9AM. I have half an hour so perhaps I'll start a fire in the fireplace, so life is OK! Later will come the football games.

The Holiday shopping season will have officially begun, though it seems like it has already.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 30th November 2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: because eagerly is not spelled with a w
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 05:25 PM   #22
Palmerito
El Perro

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are observing it. I am working as I usually do on most major holidays. Our nice boss brought in a feast for us to enjoy here at the workplace, however. That was really kind of him.

As far as "black friday". I'm not sure how well it's going to go. Most people are curbing their spending this year. It's moniker I believe came from the fact that most businesses go into the "black" (profitable) rather than in the "red" (loss) column. Regardless, it is madness in the stores and I have usually avoided it - no matter how good the sales are.
Palmerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 07:13 PM   #23
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
it's a day that is set aside to count one's blessings in life..
Like having a well paid IT job in Malaga, Dave!!!

Good to see you posting again.

Gill and I will be in your neck of the woods in Feb if you fancy a beer at any point...

Last edited by gary; 27th November 2008 at 07:16 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 07:39 PM   #24
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post

My family is weagerly waiting for the 17.77 lb., free-range, organic turkey to be done. I threw it in the oven at 8 AM so it should be ready by 3 PM. Due to my success last year, this year I will make the gravy, using turkey drippings, sage, flour, water and maybe a touch of vino blanco.

My wife is making the organic stuffing. Our friend Linda is coming over to prepare the dressings and mashed potatoes and candied yams.

My oldest son will prepare the pumpkin pie.

My mom is bringing over the flan, again (I'm sure the pilgrims would find her flan agreeable, I know we do!).
Yummy!

Happy Thanksgiving to all foreros from the US.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 08:32 PM   #25
Perro Callejero
El Perro Callejero

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am about to sit down as we speak to a big turkey with stuffing, cranberry sauce, and all the works feast!

I won't be participating in Black Friday, however! I hate crowds!
No thank you!!!!!
Perro Callejero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 09:48 PM   #26
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro Callejero View Post
I am about to sit down as we speak to a big turkey with stuffing, cranberry sauce, and all the works feast!
Well I'm standing up, at work, nibbling on a reheated vegetable samosa. At this moment, I gaze (metaphorically) across the pond with envious eyes.

Happy Thanksgiving cousins.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 04:23 AM   #27
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post

My family is weagerly waiting for the 17.77 lb., free-range, organic turkey to be done. I threw it in the oven at 8 AM...
Alive?
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 09:33 AM   #28
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
Well I'm standing up, at work, nibbling on a reheated vegetable samosa. At this moment, I gaze (metaphorically) across the pond with envious eyes.

Happy Thanksgiving cousins.
I didn't know the word samosa, but when I looked it up I found this:

http://blog.92y.org/index.php/weblog...mosa_diaspora/

Seems like this dish has conquered the world under many different names! My mother used to make them with fillo dough, and the filling consisted of spinach, fried onions, egg yolk and soft white cheese. An Indonesian friend of mine makes delicious little fillo dumplings filled with ground meat, spices and lots of garlic called pangsit.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 01:17 PM   #29
Maria S.
Super Forero

We might be on different calendars, but Thanksgiving was yesterday on Nov 27th, which is also part of this four-day weekend in the USA.

I was in New York last Sunday (Nov 23) and I was shopping at Macy's. We spent 8 hours near Broadway, Times Square, Fifth Avenue.

There was no parade that day - and I was not floating either

More on Macy's parade on Nov 27th here:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...t_10424155.htm

I wonder what kind of turkey Valenciason had...
Maria S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 03:47 PM   #30
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria S. View Post
We might be on different calendars, but Thanksgiving was yesterday on Nov 27th, which is also part of this four-day weekend in the USA.

I was in New York last Sunday (Nov 23) and I was shopping at Macy's. We spent 8 hours near Broadway, Times Square, Fifth Avenue.

There was no parade that day - and I was not floating either

More on Macy's parade on Nov 27th here:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...t_10424155.htm

I wonder what kind of turkey Valenciason had...
Enschuldigen mir bitter fraulein, my post was dated yesterday, November 27, Thursday, the day the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on NBC. I used to go to that parade as a kid, while the food was in preparation. I lived on 89th and Madison, so I was walking distance to the parade.

Isn't that part of town you went to just great this time of year?! I miss it and the smell of roasting chestnuts and pretzels from the street vendors. So very New York.
Old 28th November 2008, 07:58 PM   #31
Maria S.
Super Forero

My apologies.

I had to go back to your post and then I realized your post was from Nov 23, but 2006!!!! An oversight on my part. Yet it was good to know I was not totally losing it...

New York was great. The biggest and the most pleasant surprise were the New Yorkers themselves - they are so friendly and chatty!!! Some salesclerks in gift shops even remembered us: "Weren't you here yesterday?" And that in a big city like New York!

We stayed in Manhattan in a hotel on 32 Street (Korea town). The whole area had a village-like atmosphere to it and people were extremely kind.
We love New York.
Old 29th November 2008, 05:14 AM   #32
tobyo
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
Alive?
tobyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 05:18 AM   #33
tobyo
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmerito View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to all who are observing it. I am working as I usually do on most major holidays. Our nice boss brought in a feast for us to enjoy here at the workplace, however. That was really kind of him.

As far as "black friday". I'm not sure how well it's going to go. Most people are curbing their spending this year. It's moniker I believe came from the fact that most businesses go into the "black" (profitable) rather than in the "red" (loss) column. Regardless, it is madness in the stores and I have usually avoided it - no matter how good the sales are.
I read somewhere that alot of stores operate in the red until the Christmas shopping season. kinda, sorta the same thing you're saying and that's why it's called black Friday. that's the day they start operating in the black. hubby was near our local mall earlier today and said it was extremely busy! no sign of economic slowdown in our neck of the woods....not sure how the rest of the country did but the shoppers were out in force over here!

I hope you all had a great holiday and ate well. we sure did!
tobyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 03:44 PM   #34
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria S. View Post
My apologies.

I had to go back to your post and then I realized your post was from Nov 23, but 2006!!!! An oversight on my part. Yet it was good to know I was not totally losing it...

New York was great. The biggest and the most pleasant surprise were the New Yorkers themselves - they are so friendly and chatty!!! Some salesclerks in gift shops even remembered us: "Weren't you here yesterday?" And that in a big city like New York!

We stayed in Manhattan in a hotel on 32 Street (Korea town). The whole area had a village-like atmosphere to it and people were extremely kind.
We love New York.

Maria,
That's because New Yorkers greatly appreciate EURO-peans in this tough economic climate. Nah, I'm just kidding. It's a myth that all New Yorkers are rude and unfriendly. In fact, considering that it is a city of 8 million people, the place is pretty friendly and neighborly.

There are neighborhoods in all five boroughs that are definitely more like small towns with a "village-like" atmosphere that you describe, where neighbors help neighbors, people sit out on the front stoop talking and laughing, the corner bar allows you to run a tab, the guy working behind the deli counter knows your favorite sandwich and starts making it the second he sees you arrive, people know which neighborhood mutt is the local terror, etc. Most tourists don't get to experience that aspect of the city since they are too busy trying to see the most popular tourist attractions, but that's great that you got a little taste of it.

Last edited by Beckett; 29th November 2008 at 03:47 PM.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 05:02 PM   #35
Beckett
Mega Forero

40,000 people show up to pick free vegetables in Colorado:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_146395.html
Old 29th November 2008, 05:07 PM   #36
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
Maria,
That's because New Yorkers greatly appreciate EURO-peans in this tough economic climate. Nah, I'm just kidding. It's a myth that all New Yorkers are rude and unfriendly. In fact, considering that it is a city of 8 million people, the place is pretty friendly and neighborly.

There are neighborhoods in all five boroughs that are definitely more like small towns with a "village-like" atmosphere that you describe, where neighbors help neighbors, people sit out on the front stoop talking and laughing, the corner bar allows you to run a tab, the guy working behind the deli counter knows your favorite sandwich and starts making it the second he sees you arrive, people know which neighborhood mutt is the local terror, etc. Most tourists don't get to experience that aspect of the city since they are too busy trying to see the most popular tourist attractions, but that's great that you got a little taste of it.
I think the latest census puts NYC at 10.5 million.
You know I used to deliver for Ray's Pizza many moons ago.
I love NY!
Old 29th November 2008, 11:53 PM   #37
Maria S.
Super Forero

I am so glad to have taken this trip to New York. Now some friends have asked me to take them there as well!!

The New Yorkers made me feel like a local. When they yelled at me from behind the counter, I yelled my order back. My sister (she does not know the language, nor the culture) just stared at me first and then laughed.

We got a very thrilling rickshaw ride going from 55 Street to 32 Street. Then we asked the rickshaw rider for the location of a liquor shop - he just called his friend in Russian to get the information. No matter what we asked for, people were there to help us.

I still marvel at this friendliness. When they were helpful, it was not for money. It was genuine - and amazing.

I have traveled a bit in my life and I have to say New York has been the friendliest city I have ever visited.
Old 30th November 2008, 10:57 PM   #38
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Here is some of what happened:

Old 1st December 2008, 12:41 AM   #39
Beckett
Mega Forero

VS,
That's mighty impressive poultry you got there. How much leftovers were there? Make me a plate, (white meat, mashed potatoes with gravy, cranberry sauce and cornbread stuffing on the side), and then fedex it to me here in Madrid, please. Include a slice of sweet potato pie, if there was any. The address is....
Old 1st December 2008, 01:14 AM   #40
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
VS,
That's mighty impressive poultry you got there. How much leftovers were there? Make me a plate, (white meat, mashed potatoes with gravy, cranberry sauce and cornbread stuffing on the side), and then fedex it to me here in Madrid, please. Include a slice of sweet potato pie, if there was any. The address is....
Now you tell me! That turkey was gooood! It sure does make a difference when it's organic and free-range.