Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 16th July 2007, 07:39 AM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Do you twitter, facebook, pownce, jaiku?

A few months ago I asked if anyone used the new 'what are you doing now' phenomenon Twitter, and I think the response was one person. So now I'm curious again, do any of you guys use any of these social networking sites these days? I still can't really find the energy to use my twitter account much, but think facebook will be more fun. If you are on there, facebook-friend me up!

Do you use any of these?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 06:04 PM   #2
MikeF
Barcelona Persona

Hi Ben
I read recently that the actor/writer/... Stephen Fry was having problems keeping up with his new Facebook friends. Over 20 an hour were getting amicable with him. Good luck.

Mike
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Ben
Hero Forero

I don't think I'll have that trouble to be honest!
Old 16th July 2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Ashley
Forero Senior

Hmm, given the popularity of NFS, Ben might have his work cut out for him accepting all those friend requests on Facebook!
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 07:04 PM   #5
rod
Mega Forero

OK I'm giving Facebook a try just to see how it works - anybody else?
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 07:59 PM   #6
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
Hmm, given the popularity of NFS, Ben might have his work cut out for him accepting all those friend requests on Facebook!
Not sure... that would be great though! I actually started an NFS group on there too ages ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
OK I'm giving Facebook a try just to see how it works - anybody else?
Great, come on, who else!? This may be the future of the internet!
Old 16th July 2007, 09:34 PM   #7
gary
Samuri Forero

There simply arent enough hours in the day to get drawn in to what seems to be a post pubescent time sink - though I can see its value if you are trying to promote something, I am way too busy actually surviving the minuiae of my minute by minute existance to even consider being arsed to chronicle it
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 10:00 PM   #8
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Not sure... that would be great though! I actually started an NFS group on there too ages ago!

Great, come on, who else!? This may be the future of the internet!
the problem I have with all of these sites is that I can never find the time to use them much beyond the initial 5 minutes after signing up. My addiction to the NFS forums seem to be the only exception to this rule so far.

If you are into Social Networking sites take a look at Ning a startup created by Marc Andreessen of Netscape fame. It lets you create your own social network choosing which features to include.

[Ben, I like the Dave Winer quote. By strange coincidence I found myself hunting around the forums this morning for the last time you quoted him about the value of linking from blogs.]
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 10:16 PM   #9
Beckett
Mega Forero

I agree with Guapo and Gary. Between the forums of NFS, Word Reference and a couple of other expat forums/blogs, there isn't any time left in the day to be active in other sites like Facebook and Twitter.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 10:29 PM   #10
richardksa
Jedi Forero

I have a colleague who is into all these and we never see him except at meals!! Yesterday he asked me if I had heard of "Second Life"? (The virtual world chat room.) It reminded me of the mini bio that appears in all of Terry Pratchett's DiscWorld books. (I don't have one at hand so I cannot quote directly.) He says he spends all his life in front of a keyboard. People say he should get a life, but he feels he is living three already. Sometimes we should peek beyond the computer screen to see if the world still exists.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 11:07 PM   #11
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
... It reminded me of the mini bio that appears in all of Terry Pratchett's DiscWorld books. (I don't have one at hand so I cannot quote directly.) He says he spends all his life in front of a keyboard. People say he should get a life, but he feels he is living three already. Sometimes we should peek beyond the computer screen to see if the world still exists.
He lives behind a keyboard in Wiltshire and says he 'doesn't want to get a life, because it feels as though he's trying to lead three already'.

(Happen to have one nearby, but not bad from memory Richard )
Old 16th July 2007, 11:15 PM   #12
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo View Post
[Ben, I like the Dave Winer quote. By strange coincidence I found myself hunting around the forums this morning for the last time you quoted him about the value of linking from blogs.]
Did you find it? It's here if not.
Old 16th July 2007, 11:26 PM   #13
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Did you find it? It's here if not.
Thanks Ben, a search from the front page of NFS located it hiding in a blog post I wanted to quote it to some people I work with, to explain why links are a good thing in blogs....

/Keith
Old 16th July 2007, 11:26 PM   #14
Ben
Hero Forero

You are all right of course, there is no time for all these things. Facebook interests me mildly as I think there is room for a sort of recommendations engine, so to speak, where you can easily find out what your friends are watching or listening to, and find new music etc that way.

It is still much too time consuming, however. I have spent a few hours today playing with facebook when I should have been doing much better things for NFS. But I feel I have to have a look at these new things as you never know when something truly useful and interesting might pop up on the net. It happened to me a couple of years ago when someone asked me if I knew what podcasting was - that of course has led to wonderful things, and the result is that I now feel compelled to at least glance at these new 'web 2.0' ideas.

Mostly though, they are just time sinks, as Gary put it, and personally it's much more fun, interesting, and useful for me to be putting my time in here
Old 17th July 2007, 04:57 AM   #15
jomik746
neófito

Facebook is definitely time consuming and most college students can attest to that. It is extremely popular amongst us college-agers but it is time consuming. However, its very convenient for keeping in contact with friends from high school who have gone off to different universities and sharing pictures from your escapades. According to friends "A relationship is not official unless it says so on facebook." haha, i don't know about that one. I use it quite often (maybe too much) and it seems like it plays to a younger crowd. Nevertheless, I look forward to see what Notes can do with it.

Later,
jomik746
jomik746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 06:27 AM   #16
Ashley
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomik746 View Post
Facebook is definitely time consuming and most college students can attest to that.
Yep! I checked Facebook constantly when deadlines or exams were approaching, to the point where I couldn't let myself open Firefox at all, or else whole hours would be wasted. In the normal course of things, I tend to use Facebook to send quick messages to people and to make sure I haven't missed anyone's birthday, and that's it.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 12:35 PM   #17
rod
Mega Forero

Like Gary, Keith and Beckett I was sceptical, but after about half an hour setting up last night, and another half an hour this morning, I've changed my mind. I think it could be a very useful tool for keeping in touch with friends/ex-work colleagues, particularly if you're on the move like I will be soon.

I do agree that a lot of 'Web 2.0' sites are wastes of time (in my view for example, Last FM, Twitter and Second Life). But I don't think Facebook is one of them, it seems to me you can spend as little or as much time as you want on there. Ben I think you were right the first time - it seems to me it has some interesting possibilities.

Join us everyone. You know you want to.

Last edited by rod; 17th July 2007 at 12:41 PM.
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 01:28 PM   #18
PattyN
Forero Senior

The only social network I'm in is LinkedIn, which is really more of a business network, not a social network. Given that I'm retired, I'm really only staying there to help some of my friends who occasionally want to network with someone else I know.

I haven't moved to twitter or facebook or any of the newer technologies since none of them seem to have much staying power, even with my 20-something friends.

I do love Instant Messaging, and ususally have both my MSN and Yahoo Messengers up when I'm online.
PattyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 01:32 PM   #19
greytop
Hero Forero

I'm waiting for the Spanish version "Enchufe"
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 04:41 PM   #20
Ben
Hero Forero

you are right about that greytop, someone should definitely do enchufado.es!