Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Old 23rd July 2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Alan
El Listo ;)

Default Photos from Menorca

Tapas

A photo of our meal one day in a tapas bar in Ciutadella (Café Es Pou, if you're ever there). From top to bottom, left to right, we have Cuttlefish, Pimientos (Peppers) de Padrón, Calamares (Squid) a la romana and Patatas Bravas. My favourite from all of these was the peppers - they were gorgeous. I'd love to try to make it at home, but I don't know where I would be able to get them. Doesn't it all look delicious?

I'll post more later

Last edited by Alan; 24th July 2006 at 10:08 AM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2006, 01:08 PM   #2
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Well! I wasn't hungry, but now I suppose I better get lunch. That looks delicious.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2006, 01:26 PM   #3
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

At 8:25 AM I have yearning for some calamares and patatas bravas. OK, I'll try the peppers also.

Welcome back Alan.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2006, 03:28 PM   #4
Alan
El Listo ;)

Thanks ValenciaSon. I still wish I was over there though!

Menorcan Sunset

This next shot might be a little cliché, but look at the colours. This was taken on the West coast of Menorca.

Last edited by Alan; 24th July 2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 23rd July 2006, 03:50 PM   #5
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Stunning photo Alan! It must've been breath-taking while you were actually there in that moment! Here's to hoping that you get back at the earliest practical time for you.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Delicious!!!
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2006, 07:01 PM   #7
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Looks absolutely, positively delicious. I hope you guys were hungry!

How were the green peppers prepared? Were they roasted or grilled in olive oil? garlic? Just curious.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Alan
El Listo ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Looks absolutely, positively delicious. I hope you guys were hungry!

How were the green peppers prepared? Were they roasted or grilled in olive oil? garlic? Just curious.
We ate every last bit! It was great. Afterwards we weren't hungry and I was ready for a nap.

The green peppers were fried just enough to remove their crispness in a good virgin olive oil, then salted with sea salt. No other herbs or spices that I could tell. Frying them also removed the intensity of the peppers but there were a few unexpected hot ones. I love spicy foods, but I think they surprised my girlfriend a bit
Old 23rd July 2006, 09:41 PM   #9
Alan
El Listo ;)

Dos gatos

Two young cats in an alley in Ciutadella with very glassy eyes. I like the cat on the right. It looks very curious. After this photo was taken we accidentally scared them and the orange cat fell on top of the grey one. Good job kittens are bouncy.

I like the way the colours of the cats complement the colours of the stone and the door. A weird coincidence.

Last edited by Alan; 24th July 2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 24th July 2006, 12:01 AM   #10
Bolboreta
Forero Senior

Pst! It's pimientos de Padrón Padrón is a Galician village, they're a kind of peppers. Oh, and they're not supposed to be hot! (but yeah, you always find one or two that are...). And yeah, they're just fried and salted, that's all.
Bolboreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 07:34 AM   #11
Alan
El Listo ;)

You'd better tell the restaurant staff then, because that's how it was written on the menu. But I'll listen to you.
Old 24th July 2006, 09:01 AM   #12
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
The green peppers were fried just enough to remove their crispness in a good virgin olive oil, then salted with sea salt. No other herbs or spices that I could tell. Frying them also removed the intensity of the peppers but there were a few unexpected hot ones. I love spicy foods, but I think they surprised my girlfriend a bit
Hmmmm, I love those, something about the taste of the peppers combined with the oil and the salt. I don't find them particularly spicy (I think cooking them reduces the heat) but once I start I have to finish the whole plate
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 09:29 AM   #13
Marina
NFS Admin

There is a saying about Pimientos del Padrón:
"Pimientos del Padrón unos pican y otros no"
"Pimientos del Padron, some are hot and some are not"

The heat really depends of the season, towards the end of the summer most of them are hot, and when they are they are terribly hot. But when not they are so delicious.

They take 3 minutes to cook, you just add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and when it starts to smoke drop the pimientos and a pinch of sea salt. Move the friying pan as if it was a wok while frying and pass them to a serving plate after 3 minutes.
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 09:30 AM   #14
Marina
NFS Admin

Alan the sun picture is great, please send more!!
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 10:00 AM   #15
Alan
El Listo ;)

The Puki Clown

I added this picture to the Notes from Spain group, but then thought that it probably didn't belong. Let me know if you disagree and I'll add it again.

I really feel sorry for kids who are forced to go to these kids club things. They're on their holidays too, you know. The two boys in the picture on the top right: have you ever seen faces more miserable than those?

Also, "Ven a divertirte conmigo" just sounds creepy. No wonder the kids aren't having fun!

Old 24th July 2006, 10:05 AM   #16
Alan
El Listo ;)

Moules à la Marinière

The dinner in Fornells that I was raving about. This is the starter - and quite a good wallpaper I've posted it larger for that reason! Larger copies are possible - just send a PM.

I've never had better mussels.

Old 24th July 2006, 10:18 AM   #17
Alan
El Listo ;)

Arroz Negro

And the main course.

Last edited by Alan; 24th July 2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 24th July 2006, 10:33 AM   #18
Edith
Pangolin Forero

I've never tried arroz negro but even though it looks a bit unusual it sounds delicious to me! The next time I am in Spain, I will go and look for it.

BTW Alan, what kind of camera did you use to take these pictures? They really are very good.
Old 24th July 2006, 11:03 AM   #19
Alan
El Listo ;)

Thanks Edith

It's a Canon PowerShot A430 and was bought for £99 from one of the shops on kelkoo.co.uk.

This information is actually available on flickr for most photos, under "Additional Information" at the bottom right of the page. Click on the menus and you can find all sorts of information on automatic/manual focus, aperture opening times, etc. Means nothing to me, but I know a lot of people are interested in this kind of thing.
Old 24th July 2006, 12:16 PM   #20
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Thanks Edith

It's a Canon PowerShot A430 and was bought for £99 from one of the shops on kelkoo.co.uk.

This information is actually available on flickr for most photos, under "Additional Information" at the bottom right of the page. Click on the menus and you can find all sorts of information on automatic/manual focus, aperture opening times, etc. Means nothing to me, but I know a lot of people are interested in this kind of thing.
I'm not very technical, but I can tell a good photograph from a bad one. The still life with the arroz negro in it is actually very good! I've got a Canon Power Shot A95 and I really like the fact that it's so user-friendly.

I just uploaded some new Gran Canaria pics from last year into my Flickr account but somehow they do not appear in the Notes From Spain Group.